Netbeans vs openJDK6 [was: Re: openJava6 ugly fonts]

Zsolt Kúti la.tinca at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 17:06:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 14:36:52 +1300
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 08:21:06PM +0200, Zsolt K??ti wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 11:01:20 -0700
> > Brian Gardner <openjdk at getsnappy.com> wrote:
> >
> > > openjdk6 b17 is right around the corner, perhaps I can include a
> > > fix for this as well.  I'll poke around and see if it's not
> > > communicating with fontconfig properly.
> > >
> > Thank you, Brian!
> >
> > Anybody else with similar experience?
>
> Yes. Aside from the fonts issue, the openjdk6 experience with Swing is
> somewhat unstable at times.  eg: try running java/netbeans with
> openjdk6, it will crash the JVM after a while.
After a whole day work with NB6.7 there was no crash here. Once it got
so slow, that it needed a restart. But repeating TestNG test runs a lot
had no such effect. No wonder that openJDK is less polished (and
is somewhat behind in performance wise) than our good old Sun JDKs.
Unfortunately my need of using openJDK6 stems from the bug which exists
in Sun JDKs before update10 (on Windows as well):  in DatatypeCoverter
from JAXB an internal member of DatatypeCoverterInterface of this
class is not initialized and method calls result in NPE.  I could not
find a workaround (usage of NB is obligatory).

Zsolt