openjdk6 b17

Stephen McKay smckay at internode.on.net
Wed Nov 4 06:47:59 UTC 2009

On Tuesday, 3rd November 2009, Brian Gardner wrote:

>I've found a solution for the ugly font issue.  I'll be posting a new
>preliminary port later today, but here is a blog entry explaining my
>research and solution.
>
>http://www.getsnappy.com/tech-blog/freebsd-tips-tricks/freebsd-openjdk6-b17-font-issues/

Hi Brian!  Thanks for all the work you are doing on the java ports!

I'm keen to see the openjdk6 font problem solved and I've tried your
preliminary b17 port.

I've tried all the JDK ports available for FreeBSD (diablo-jdk1.6.0,
jdk1.6.0, linux-sun-jdk1.6.0, openjdk6).  All these except openjdk6 have
the same fontconfig.properties.  Openjdk6's is radically different, and
it's the one with serious font issues.  That could be a clue.

Even after I duplicated (most of) the tweaks you did to get the fonts
working with b17, there are still major font oddities.  I'm trying
Intellij on FreeBSD in an attempt to avoid using Linux for java
development and openjdk6 (b16 and b17) selects different fonts to what
I normally see and renders them poorly.

Also, of the available JDKs, the clear winner for running Intellij on
FreeBSD is the Linux JDK under the Linuxulator.  It's so much better
than the others, it's astounding.  Running Intellij on the Sun Linux JDK
feels 10x more responsive than any of the FreeBSD native JDK options.
Just moving the cursor is a pain on the native JDKs.  Puzzling, no?

I may just start a thread about this.  When I get a moment...

Stephen.