openjdk6 b17

Zsolt Kúti la.tinca at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 20:15:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:29:38 -0700
Brian Gardner <brian at getsnappy.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I've completed the port of openjdk6 from b16 to b17.  I've blogged
> about the upgrade here:
> http://www.getsnappy.com/tech-blog/freebsd-tips-tricks/upgrading-freebsd-port-javaopenjdk6-from-b16-to-b17/
>
> You can download this port and test it before it is committed from:
> http://www.getsnappy.com/downloads/openjdk6-b17.tar.gz
>
> To install the port:
>
> cd /usr/ports/java
> tar -xjf <path_to_tar_bundle>/openjdk6-b17.tar.gz
> cd openjdk6-b17
> make
> I haven't done any testing yet and before I commit I would like to
> address the existing issue with poor font quality.
>
> Please leave good or bad comments about your experience with the
> preliminary build on this mailing list or my blog, so we can speed
> the process of committing a more stable and up-to-date version of
> Java for FreeBSD.

Hi Brian,

Since a picture worth thousand words, here comes two :-)
The first screenshot is made using sun-jdk, the other one with the new
openjdk port.
http://i37.tinypic.com/mudhj7.png
http://i37.tinypic.com/350usyf.png

A lot of difference regarding font properties in various panels can be
seen: font size, type, emphasis, right margin (e.g. red line)

(Sorry for not giving high fidelty in other non-relevant aspects.)

IntelliJ's IDEA still looks bad. I can make similar screenshots in
case you need.

Thanks for your work!
Zsolt