Bad checksum problem building jdk17 on 7.2-R

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Thu May 21 01:41:45 UTC 2009

G'day Joshua,

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:51:03AM -0600, Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> Trying to build jdk16 on 7.2-R, and am getting this error:
>
> gamera:/usr/ports/java/jdk16:# make install clean
> ===>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
> ===>  Found saved configuration for jdk-1.6.0.3p4_2
>
> IMPORTANT: To build the JDK 1.6.0 port, you should have at least
> 2.5Gb of free disk space in the build area!
>
> ===>  Extracting for jdk-1.6.0.3p4_10
> => MD5 Checksum mismatch for jdk-6u3-fcs-src-b05-jrl-24_sep_2007.jar.
> => SHA256 Checksum mismatch for jdk-6u3-fcs-src-b05-jrl-24_sep_2007.jar.
[snip]

> As you can see, I do have jdk-6u3-fcs-src-b05-jrl-24_sep_2007.jar, but
> the checksum doesn't match. I downloaded it through the link:
> http://download.java.net/jdk6/6u3/promoted/b05/jdk-6u3-fcs-src-b05-jrl-24_sep_2007.jar
>
> In fact, I downloaded it three times now, and it still fails the
> checksum.
>
> If I clear distinfo, this is the error I get:
>
> [/usr/ports/distfiles/jdk-6u3-fcs-src-b05-jrl-24_sep_2007.jar]
>   End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
>   a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
>   latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
>   the last disk(s) of this archive.
> unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of
> /usr/ports/distfiles/jdk-6u3-fcs-src-b05-jrl-24_sep_2007.jar or
>         /usr/ports/distfiles/jdk-6u3-fcs-src-b05-jrl-24_sep_2007.jar.zip,
> and cannot find
> /usr/ports/distfiles/jdk-6u3-fcs-src-b05-jrl-24_sep_2007.jar.ZIP,
> period.
> *** Error code 1

Which means that the download is clearly corrupted.  I was just able to
download it and the checksum was fine.  So, you're probably just running
out of diskspace or something similar during the download.  Check the
size of what you downloaded.

> Where can I find a valid source file? I've been trying to build this for
> days and am about ready to call it quits. Am spending far too much time
> trying to chase down issues and my work is suffering.

I don't know anywhere other than Sun where you can get this from.  You
could also use diablo-jdk16 or openjdk6 instead, but you'll also need
to download stuff for either of those, so you're going to have to work
out your download problems one way or another.

> And it's impossible to find the version of the tzupdater required by the
> port on Sun's site, so it has to be retrieved elsewhere. Luckily, the
> checksum is OK, but the distribution of that file is hardly reliable.

Well, that was just bad timing.  Sun only released the new version
yesterday or the day before.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com