Japanese font conf for JDK16 to use IPA font

Maho NAKATA chat95 at mac.com
Tue Mar 3 03:56:17 PST 2009

Hi

From: Daichi GOTO <daichi at ongs.co.jp>
Subject: Re: Japanese font conf for JDK16 to use IPA font
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 19:17:36 +0900

> Maho NAKATA wrote:
>> Daichi san
>> Sorry for changing my mind...this is just suggestion.
>> IPA font is good but license is too restrictive.
>
> NO. That is old information. Please check latest IPAfont license.
> We can use it as default font right now I guess.

Yes, I have checked the new one :)
For me, "free" means we can also redistribute modified fonts;
like IPA-mona-font http://www.geocities.jp/ipa_mona/ ,
M+ IPA font http://mix-mplus-ipa.sourceforge.jp/download.html
and IPA fonts from FreeBSD ports (actually this is M+IPA font).

Note that they still employes older licence, because newer license has
restrictive clauses (第3条1).

>> VLGothic is free font and ubuntu uses as user interface font.
>> Fallback to VLGothic may useful for some environment.
>
> NO. I do not think so.
>
> Ubuntu use VLGothic as default Japanese font since license issue,
> yes I know that. (JFYI, PC-BSD use it as default Japanese/Chinese
> font too, because of 1CD size limitation.)  But it is lead by
> Ubuntu *BINARY PACKAGE SITUATION* and their license policy, that is
> not affected to Ports Collection of FreeBSD.

This part is correct. However, please aware that IPA font set is
not a free one. Policies can be different between Linux distributions;
Fedora won't be shipped with IPA fonts nor Ubuntu, etc. Situation is
quite different from gcc; almost every distribution can include gcc,
because it is a free software.
it's okay but may result incompatibility issue.

> So I believe that IPA font should be used as default Japanese
> fonts on most situation, at least by Ports Collection.
> How do you make of that?

It depends. If you and colleagues want to use FreeBSD, that's okay.
However if you work with other people who use Linux, it could result
some conflict. In any case, if there is a Windows or MacOSX guy,
we cannot avoid conflict :)

At least VLgothic is a free one, and the worst case, it would be better
to have a fallback to VLgothic if IPA font is not present.

Best
-- Nakata Maho http://accc.riken.jp/maho/ , http://ja.openoffice.org/
   Nakata Maho's PGP public keys: http://accc.riken.jp/maho/maho.pgp.txt