jmap

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Thu Jan 8 19:14:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 09:44:04AM -0800, Brian Gardner wrote:
> Are there alternates methods available to access heap information from a
> running vm?  This seems quite essential for tuning so I'd like to think
> there is something out there.

I'm not sure, since I don't do much with this myself.  It seems like there
are some reasonable Eclipse plugins for doing stuff like that, but I
haven't tried to hook them up and I'm not sure what interface they use.

I do know I can analyse heap dumps...but thats obviously different than
a running VM.  In terms of tuning the verbose GC information can also be
quite useful.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com