General thoughts on java@freebsd-8/amd64

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Thu Dec 17 05:11:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 04:56:07PM +0200, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> Hello, (sorry for having missed some of the latest developments in
> FreeBSD-Java in the last couple of years).
> The last few days, i have been deploying a new machine (AMD Phenom(tm)
> II X4 965 Processor) with FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE, as my main (next)
> development platform.
> I noticed that
> - diablo-jdk1.6.0/amd64 is not precompiled for FreeBSD 8.0, (but for
> FreeBSD 7.0) shouldn't there be one?

I would say at this point that there is unlikely to be one unless someone
donates a substantial amount of money to the Foundation.  The Diablo
releases are pretty expensive.  You can run the one for 7.0 with compat7x
installed, with some limitations.

> - there is openjdk16, which says that it will supercede jdk16 in the
> future, but the maintainer is not Greg Lewis,
> what is Greg's involvement/relationship with this?

Brian Gardner did the porting work on openjdk6.  IIRC he did at least
reference the other ports when doing that.

> - there is no openjdk17 port, it is expected to be available in the future?

Yes.  OpenJDK7 is already ported, there just isn't a formal port of it yet.
It's still a pretty fast moving target.  I'd also like to see a solution
for the bootstrap problem before it's created.

> - javawrapper does not behave like it used to. Now it is basically
> relying on /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.java.mk

It's used bsd.java.mk (if its available) for a long time.  It will fall
back on its own internal logic if its not.

> Anyway, I installed diablo-jdk1.6.0 (for FreeBSD 7.0) from ports,
> and openjdk6 from ports,
> haven't installed any real app to do performance testing.
> Has anyone done any comparisons?
>
> Anyway, I would like to give Greg, the FreeBSD Foundation, and all
> others which contrubuted many many thanks for providing java to FreeBSD
> all those years.

You're welcome!

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com