diablo only runs with -client Re: error building java/jdk15

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue May 6 10:10:47 UTC 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 9:46 PM, Greg Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 12:40:57PM -0600, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net
> LLC wrote:
>> I am having a similar problem
>>
>> /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.2/bin/javac -d /usr/ports/java/jdk15/
>> work/
>> control/build/bsd-i586/lib -target 1.5 ../../tools/sharing/
>> AddJsum.java
>> javac: invalid target release: 1.5
>
> That looks like a legitimate error.  Possibly more recent updates of
> 1.5.0
> are no unbuildable with 1.4 as the bootstrap?  I expect this will
> work if
> you force bootstrapping with 1.5 or better.

I installed Diablo and removed the linux port (see below)

>> So I installed the 1.5 diablo stuff but I am not sure how to make the
>> 1.5 jdk build use that instead of the listed linux sun 1.4.2 version
>> (and why it would use the sun linux 1.4.2 instead of the fbsd 1.4.2.
>> already installed as well; not that that would fix the problem)
>>
>> What do I need to do to make my 1.5jdk build use the diablo one?
>
> Unless you have WITH_LINUX_BOOTSTRAP defined it should use Diablo
> automatically.

I did not have that defined and it was using the LINUX one.  Maybe as
it had been installed ages ago for something else? Anyway, I removed
that port and now it tries to use Diablo.   However, the jdk does not
build since diablo java command will not run.

If I run it at the command line I get:

# /usr/public/diablo-jdk1.5.0/bin/java -version
#

# /usr/public/diablo-jdk1.5.0/bin/java -version -client
java version "1.5.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build diablo-1.5.0-
b01)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build diablo-1.5.0_07-b01, mixed mode)
#

Since -server is the default the java errors out and the jdk build
seems to think that it does not have a java to use.  I am not sure
what is going on here and my Google foo is not too good with this sort
of thing.

# uname -a
FreeBSD foo.shire.net 6.1-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p7 #1: Wed
Sep 27 01:45:01 MDT 2006     chad at foo.shire.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/
FOO-SMP  i386
#

(Yes it needs to be updated -- in production and hard to schedule
around a lot of users with diverse needs but in the works)

Thanks
Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC