JDK ports questions

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Mar 19 16:23:22 UTC 2008

Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
 > > > For FreeBSD 7.0, you will have to install misc/compat6x
 > >
 > > But it's only required for the bootstrap, right?
 > > I.e. when I have built the JDK successfully, I don't
 > > need compat6x anymore, I assume.
 >
 > No, the diablo-jdk1.5.0 executable depends on
 > /usr/local/lib/compat/libpthread.so.2 which is in compat6x-i386

Wait a second ...  I think we're talking about different
things here.

I'm aware that diablo-jdk is a binary for FreeBSD 6, so
it clearly depends on compat6x when running on 7.0.

However, when I compile my own native JDK on FreeBSD 7
(either jdk15 or jdk16), I assume it will be a FreeBSD 7
binary, so it only depends on FreeBSD 7 libraries, so it
does not need compat6x.

As far as I know, the native JDK (e.g. jdk16) can be
bootstrapped using diablo-jdk, so I will need compat6x
for that.  But as soon as the build is done, I do not
need the diablo-jdk anymore, hence I don't need copat6x
anymore either.

Am I wrong?

Best regards
   Oliver

"I made up the term 'object-oriented', and I can tell you
I didn't have C++ in mind."
        -- Alan Kay, OOPSLA '97