OpenJDK status on FreeBSD

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Wed Jul 23 22:53:00 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 09:54:34AM +0900, Maho NAKATA wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD Java team
> (Cc: Kay Ramme),
>
> I'm Nakata Maho who is maintaining OpenOffice.org FreeBSD ports
> for long time. Here I read Kay's blog entry
> http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/switching_to_java_1_5
> and
> he is collecting the status of OpenJDK for platforms.
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenJDK
>
> So - I'd like to ask you about OpenJDK porting status.
> AFAIK, it is not available in the ports tree :)
>
> Thank you very much for your cooperation.
>
> All the best,
> -- Nakata Maho http://accc.riken.jp/maho/

We've cleared our legal hurdles on OpenJDK and will be proposing a port
to BSD shortly.  There are already patches against an older version of
OpenJDK, so the port should ramp up fairly quickly.  The plan is to
integrate all of our changes before the JDK 7 FCS.  We'd like to get
changes integrated into the OpenJDK 6 tree before that too and get a
port out based on it.

Note that there are some patches that we'll have to exclude from the port
for now due to legal issues.  We don't see them as critical and will be
reimplementing them on a clean room basis where possible.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com