Sparc64

Landon Fuller landonf at bikemonkey.org
Thu Jan 31 14:09:03 PST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008, at 14:42, Eirik Øverby wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> an old boring question coming up again...
>
> For various reasons we have some interest in getting Java running
> on FreeBSD-SPARC64. Also, the sun4v platform is of interest, but
> currently mostly academic such as the FreeBSD port to sun4v isn't
> useful at this stage.
>
> We are using FreeBSD on a load of old SUN servers that their owners
> can't or won't dispose of. Having Java available would make these
> systems even more useful, and might bring in more business for us.
>
> So, put plainly, what kind of man-hours are we talking about to
> bring Java 1.5 to fbsd-sparc64?

At first glance, it doesn't look to be more than a couple weeks of
work (at the high end). Someone on the OpenJDK lists recently asked
about Linux/Sparc, which would require roughly the same effort
(implementing os_cpu for bsd_sparc):
	http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-dev/2007-September/
000138.html
	http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/porters-dev/2008-January/
000078.html

> And what kind of money/support/inspiration would be needed to make
> this a priority?

Seems like the biggest problem is access to freebsd/sparc64, and --
of course -- finding someone sufficiently excited about doing the
porting work =)

-landonf