java/114644: tomcat goes out of PermSpace, jvm crashes

Tomas Verbaitis tomasv at megalogika.lt
Mon Feb 11 07:10:06 PST 2008

The following reply was made to PR java/114644; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tomas Verbaitis <tomasv at megalogika.lt>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, white at gang.synchbox.com
Cc: freebsd-java at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: java/114644: tomcat goes out of PermSpace, jvm crashes
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:09:56 +0200

 --uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

 > Hi, does anyone know whether anyone is working/looking at this issue?
 > Apparantly it has been open since July 17th, 2007.  I looked on
 > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-java/2007-July/006476.html
 > and 'State' is on 'open'.

 Thanks for reminding about this issue. Problems with PermGen space are
 quite common for all contemporary Java applications, just google around
 for the "tomcat PermGen" and see... AFAIU the key is that by default
 Java allocates too little memory for object that are kept around
 permanently and not garbage collected.

 There is a workaround for this issue: specifying more memory. With Java
 1.5 and 1.6 the following switches work good (for Eclipse; although
 my development Tomcat server, which has contexts reloaded often, crashes
 when running out of PermGen space, production machines have Tomcat 5.0
 and 5.5 running for months without this problem):

 -XX:PermSize=3D128M -XX:MaxPermSize=3D512M

 The first option specifies starting PermGen space size, the second --
 how big can it grow. Exact values depend on your application's object
 creation patterns.

 You should put these options into rc.conf variable tomcat55_java_opts.

 As Tomcat 5.5 port maintainer, I guess I could a pkg-mesg with the above
 information, at least. Specifying some default tomcat55_java_opts values
 seems a bit unreasonable, as -XX Java VM options may disappear without
 notice.

 --=20
 Tomas "Verbaitis" Verbaitis ** http://megalogika.lt

 --uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm