compile/run 32bit java/jdk16 on amd64

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Tue Dec 16 03:29:00 PST 2008

on 15/12/2008 21:14 Maciej Suszko said the following:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to build java/jdk16 for 32bit environment using amd64
> world, or are there any tricks to run fully functional 32bit jdk16 on
> amd64?
> My goal is to have a machine with more than 4GB of RAM (I'd like to
> avoid using PAE) and be able to run multiple java processes, which can
> consume ~2GB of RAM each. Using 64bit jdk16 the memory consumption is
> even doubled, so that's not the way I'd like to go...

I've recently had some negative experience *building* java/jdk15 port in
 stable/7 i386 jail on stable/7 amd64 host. Although diablo-jdk-1.5
seems to have worked fine for bootstrapping. Just in case: for threads I
am using libthr.

Reference:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-java/2008-November/007763.html

--