eclim on FreeBSD?

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Tue Dec 16 02:58:04 PST 2008

Greg Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 03:16:37PM -0600, Rick C. Petty wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 02:22:28PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
>>> I'm trying to get the eclim VIM plugin to install on my FreeBSD current box,
>> I'm assuming you mean the eclipse viPlugin?
>
> He means Eclim:
>
> http://eclim.sourceforge.net/
>
> Its a way of exposing Eclipse functionality from within vim.
>
>>> anyone have any notion why it's tossing the java cores?  The only references I
>>> can find on the web is that someone got it to work on FreeBSD 6.2 about 18
>>> months ago.  I'm not yet good enough at Java to track this down yet, and the
>>> thing leaves me no hints as to what went wrong (their advertised log file
>>> doesn't show up).
>> Which version of the plugin?
>> What java cores?
>
> I have to agree here.  Chuck, thats not a lot of information to go on.  If the
> JVM core dumps it will normally leave a hs_err*mumble* file that will give
> some details of what went on.  When I've seen this with Eclipse involved
> 9 times out of 10 the problem has been within the Eclipse native
> libraries.  If thats the case you're pretty much on your own.
>
> Anyway you look at it more information is needed before you're even likely
> to be able to convince someone to take a look.

You're right, I didn't give a lot of detail, but I did actually get what I
wanted, which was to see if anyone had recently gotten eclim to work for
themselves under FreeBSD.  The installation (which failed for me) was one of
those designed to fail pretty much in total silence (I react poorly to any
project that decides they need to hide details of a build from me).  I have
hacked a bit at the internals of the script to see if I could expose of bit more
of what was failing, but I didn't get a whole heck of a lot, and I really didn't
want to drag a bunch of you after me, at least not until I'd been able to
figoure a bit more.  I just wanted to see if anyone had recently tripped over it
with a bit more success than I had.

If not (and that seems to be the consensus, that no one here really heard of it,
at least not more recently than an 18 month old reference to getting it to work
for FreeBSD-6.2, then I think I will nibble away at the edges of this, without
dragging you folks after me, at least not yet.  I just wanted to see that I
wasn't missing something fairly well known.

BTW, eclim is a seemingly a GNU project, at least it's not something commercial
that I might never figure out.  I can go after the authors, when I finally
decide I can't wring any more out of it.  The description of what this does is
kinda really interesting, though: adapting vim to make it offer many of the
features of eclipse, without actually running eclipse itself.