Java in FreeBSD 7.0

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Thu Apr 24 01:49:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:55:51 -0700
Dale <daledorman1 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Reference my thread dated on Wed Apr  9 with same title ...
>
> I now have Java Plugin Diablo-1.5.0-b01 (Java(TM) Plugin 1.5.0) this
> information is from about:plugins  ...
>
> when the install was done these two errors appeared at the end of the
> install ..
>
> pkg_add: warning: package "diablo-jre-1.5.0.07-01" requires
> "xorg-libraries-6.9.0", but "xorg-libraries-7.3_1" is installed
>
> pkg_add: warning: package "diablo-jre-1.5.0.07.01 requires
> "javavmwrapper-2.0_6", but "javavmwrapper-2.3" is installed

hi Dale,
these msgs simply tell you that the binary pkg you are installing has certain
dependencies which you HAVE installed, but with a newer version. it isn't an
error.... or are you suggesting the package does NOT get installed after this ?

> The Java pkg I downloaded was obtained from the  FreeBSD Foundation web
> site and is  pkg ..  jre 1.5.0-7
>
> The problem I am experiencing is that on the two web sites I have tried
> to access where Java is needed .. only allow a partial completion to the
> final web page ..  so  in effect  I cannot get to the end result ...
> which is being able to use the desired web site ..

if I understand this correctly, you therefore HAVE java installed in your
system - can you please confirm by running:

pkg_info | grep -i java

java -version

If that comes back with the right info, then it seems it is an issue with your
browser not loading the java plugin. What browser are you using?

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Throughout the centuries there were [people] who took first steps down new
paths armed only with their own vision." Ayn Rand

Warned.