Jboss Web on FreeBSD

Charles Mason charlie.mas at gmail.com
Thu May 10 10:48:36 UTC 2007

On 5/10/07, Achilleas Mantzios <achill at matrix.gatewaynet.com> wrote:

> Good job!
> Good to know and show that FreeBSD java closely follows cutting edge java
> technology.
>
> BTW
> are there any benchmarks against apache, tomcat, jetty?

Well there theres a fairly interesting (if some what long) webinare on
the Jboss site about it. If you ignore all the marketing speak there
is some actual proper discussion of performance. Theres a graph in the
document ion (http://labs.jboss.com/file-access/default/members/jbossweb/freezone/index.html)
which shows there performance figures. That resembles the discsion and
charts in the webinare discussion, although the webinar is much more
detailed.

Because they use APR you should get static file serving somewhere in
the region of what Apache can achieve. Jetty and Tomcat use pure java
code for static file serving so that's bound to take a performance
hit, compared to highly optimised native code.

The other big advantage is the platform dependent modules you can add
to it. There are modules for php, .net and various forms of CGI. That
way one server can serve all those different technologies.

I think the basic idea is to remove the need to front a mainly java
servers like Tomcat or Jetty with Apache for performance reasons. If I
remember correctly they are planning to use the native code system in
the next version of Jboss Application Server so that won't need to be
Apache fronted either.

My company doesn't need a full J2EE server, so an efficient and
optimised Tomcat like server is ideal for us. Its not a tuned version
of Tomcat. It has many of the "enterprise" features of the full Jboss
J2EE server but without the J2EE parts if that makes any sense. It
features things like Hot Deployment and the Jboss config system.

Anyway I haven't run any benchmarks on the FreeBSD version, but it
certainly seems to be as fast as it is on our current production
system running Windows Server 2003. We are migrating to FreeBSD
eventually (it wasn't just the price thats attacted us to FreeBSD). So
having JbossWeb running is a great start.

Charlie