Please test the 'current' jdk 1.5 patchset

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Thu Jun 7 03:04:54 UTC 2007

G'day Jung-uk,

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 04:52:55PM -0400, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 June 2007 02:25 am, Greg Lewis wrote:
> > I realise that Update 12 was just released, but I think its worth
> > getting the newer patchset out now and switch to Update 12
> > afterwards rather than stopping the release cycle at this point.
>
> I have built Update 12 with the same patchset + patches from ports +
> the attached additional patches:

Thats great, I appreciate the work you're doing with the Java port right
now :).

> %java -version
> java version "1.5.0_12-p5"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_12-p5-jkim_06_jun_2007_12_43)
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.5.0_12-p5-jkim_06_jun_2007_12_43, mixed mode)
> %sysctl kern.osreldate
> kern.osreldate: 700043
>
> Can we just skip Update 11?

I think that the best course of action is to release the patchset as it
currently is (I haven't heard of any showstoppers).  I'll commit the port
update immediately after that.  Then lets wait for things to settle for
a week and, assuming there haven't been any big problems, we can commit
these patches to the port plus the necessary Makefile/distinfo patches.
At the same time, Update 12 can be imported into the porting repo and
OpenBSD and NetBSD people can give it a try too.  Then in a month or two
there will be a patchset 6 with official Update 12 support.

I don't want to stop the release cycle now and go through all the import,
build/test on multiple OSes/architectures steps again.  That will not only
hold up a new 1.5 patchset it will also delay 1.6.0_01 patchset that is
ready to go (not to mention any OpenJDK work).

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com