freebsd-java Digest, Vol 225, Issue 3

Niek niek at bigfoot.com
Thu Jul 26 12:38:07 UTC 2007

> To:
> java at FreeBSD.org
> CC:
>

> Herewith I'm requesting some advice from people that have experience
> with Apache/Tomcat integration and/or with advanced Jail-configuration.
>
> I'm writing a HOWTO article:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/AppserverJailsHOWTO
>
> which aims to show how to install:
> - Apache 2.2 with SSL (HTTPS)
> - Tomcat 6.0
> - the native JDK 1.5.0
> - ezjails 2.0.1
> in a (fairly) secure FreeBSD 6.x environment, using Jails.
>
> It will probably take me at least a few days (though weeks may be more
> likely) to finish the article, so while I'm working on it advice and
> suggestions are highly appreciated!
>
> Some concrete questions:
> - is Apache 2.2 indeed considered stable on FreeBSD 6.2?
> - is Tomcat 6.0 considered stable on FreeBSD 6.2?
> - what method of Apache-Tomcat integration works for you?
> - any experience with mod_proxy_ajp?
> - any experience with jailing Apache, using a loopback device alias
> (127.0.0.x)?
> - which options are there for forwarding from an external network port
> to an internal loopback device alias?

Hi Ernst,

An excellent initiative, IMHO.

I am running Apache 2.3 on 6.2 (amd64) and I have no problems with it. I
am using Tomcat 5.5.x and I connect using mod_jk. It works fine.

I also tried mod_proxy_ajp, to no avail. The connection simply hangs,
timing out in the browser. There is no error log whatsoever indicating
the problem. It might be a configuration error though. I filed a problem
report (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/106445), but
there was no reaction to it.

With regard to jails, I have played around with ezjails, but did not yet
utilize it with Tomcat or Apache.

Niek