Ports depending on FORBIDDEN ports

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Sat Jul 21 05:30:19 UTC 2007

G'day Peter,

Thanks for summarising this.  Responses for some specific ports below.

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 10:52:52AM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> The misc/compat3x port is unlikely to ever be fixed and therefore it would
> seem reasonable to deprecate both it and the following ports that depend
> on it:
> java/gj-jdk11            Extension of the Java programming language that supports generic types

Should be removed.  Modern versions support generics natively.

> java/infobus             Enables dynamic exchange of data between JavaBeans(TM)

Just installs a JAR, can depend on a higher version of the JDK instead.

> java/jdk11               Java Development Kit 1.1
> java/jdk12               Java Development Kit 1.2

Should be removed, as should all JDKs < 1.4 except for jdk13.

> java/jfc                 Java Foundation Classes (JFC)/Swing

Should be removed.

> java/jre                 Standard Java Platform for running Java programs

Should be removed.

> java/tya                 A ``100% unofficial'' JIT-compiler for java

Should depend on jdk13 instead of jdk11.

> I'm particularly concerned about the existence of 'java/jre' and it's
> description as the 'Standard Java Platform for running Java programs'.
> This appears to occasionally trap people who are looking for a current
> JRE and attempt to install java/jre.

It and anything that depends on it should be removed.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com