cups printing with java/jdk15 port

Uwe Laverenz uwe at laverenz.de
Fri Jan 26 20:20:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 03:06:15PM +0100, Thomas Spreng wrote:

> can anyone confirm that printing from java apps (using the latest
> jdk1[45] ports) via cups works?

I can confirm that it does _not_ work (out of the box). There is a
workaround that might work: if you set an environment
variable CUPS_SERVER to localhost, you should be able to print:

bash/sh:
$ export CUPS_SERVER=localhost

csh:
% setenv CUPS_SERVER localhost

> Unfortunately, none of the apps I've tests were able to print. Afaik,
> java expects /usr/bin/lpr to work, but symlinking all /usr/local/bin/lp*
> binaries to /usr/bin didn't seem work as well.

Yes, this is not a FreeBSD problem btw., it also occurs on Linux.

cu,
Uwe