Recommended Java/Tomcat Installation

C.P. Lim cp_lim at netratings.com.au
Thu Jan 18 22:38:33 UTC 2007

Hi Gordon,

We first started using Java on FreeBSD in November 2005 (FreeBSD 5.x and
Java 1.4), but specifically FreeBSD 6.1 and Java 1.5 in production,
we've been using it since September 2006.  We use it as our middleware
data access layer (XMLRPC) and because we control the load on it, each
instance is not handling more that 2 requests at a time (but they are
being called continuously - no rest for the wicked :)).

(At the risk of starting a flame war) - If you are after performance
then you really can't go past the IBM JVM.  (I don't know why) but their
JVM seems to beat the Sun JVM on the same OS and hardware.
Unfortunately IBM doesn't provide binaries for FreeBSD - it's only
available for Linux.  :(

cheers,
CP