JDK 1.5 does not build on AMD-64

Free BSD freebsd at vfemail.net
Sun Feb 25 17:02:30 UTC 2007

Arne H. Juul wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Free BSD wrote:
>> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a(CascadeB.o): relocation
>> R_X86_64_32 can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
>> with -fPIC
>> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
>
> where does /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a come from? it needs to be compiled
> from /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/open-motif according to the jdk15/Makefile
> at least, and it should contain relocatable objects, like this:
>
> $ ar xv /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a CascadeB.o
> x - CascadeB.o
> $ file CascadeB.o CascadeB.o: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, AMD x86-64,
> version 1 (FreeBSD),
> not stripped

Dear Arne

thanks for your response. I checked the libXm.a, and it DID come from
open-motif
# pkg_which /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a
open-motif-2.2.3_2

then I ran the commands you have shown, and the results are identical to
yours. But still, the java is not compiling and getting stuck at the
same point again and again. Please do let me know if I should do
anything more or if any more information is required, and I'll try my
best to supply those.

Best regards, and thanks once again.