trouble getting and installing FreeBSD-Java (2)

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Mon Aug 13 11:35:24 PDT 2007

G'day Steve,

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 02:15:01PM -0400, Steve Strassmann wrote:
> >I replied to an earlier email privately.  Let me know if you didn't get
> >that reply.
>
> Hi Greg - my spam filter must have eaten it, sorry. I've whitelisted you,
> can you please re-send it to me? Thank you very much for your kind reply.

I've been having some email problems of my own, so I think the reply
is actually on another machine :(.

You'll need to get Linux emulation working to start with.  There are sections
on doing that in the FreeBSD handbook.  Basically you need it compiled
into the kernel or loaded as a module (if either of these are not the case
and you don't have root access and can't change the kernel then you're
stuck).  You'll then need to install one of the Linux emulation ports to
make use of it.  Look for a package starting with 'linux_base' in the
4.x package sets.  If you can get a new enough version of that installed
and actually working then you should be able to get the Linux JDK 1.5
installed (use the java/linux-sun-jdk15 port, for example, or take similar
steps to what it does).

At this point you might be done.  However, despite your best efforts you
may find that the Linux JDK is quite unstable on that version of FreeBSD.
If thats the case, it still might be stable enough to use to compile a
native JDK 1.5.  Use the java/jdk15 port if you can.  If that fails then
read the BUILD file in the patchset you have.

One of your (many) problems with that set up is that the current ports
tree doesn't work on FreeBSD 4.x.  In fact, most of your problems stem
from FreeBSD 4.x (and 4.8 even longer ago) have been end of lifed.  A
much easier path (from the Java perspective) would be to get it updated to
a current version (e.g. 6.2) if you can.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com