JDK 1.6.0 patchset 1 "Brumby"

Rene Ladan r.c.ladan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 16:00:10 UTC 2007

Greg Lewis schreef:
> On behalf of the BSD Java Porting team, I'm pleased to announce the
> availability of Patchset 1 "Brumby" for JDK 1.6, based on the
> JDK 1.6.0 JRL source code.
>
> As usual with the first patchset for a release, this patchset may be a
> little rough around the edges.  Its considered beta and shouldn't be used
> in a production environment.  Having said that, it feels more solid than
> the first patchsets for previous JDK releases and should generally work
> fairly well.
>
> A special note of thanks to Kurt Miller for getting HotSpot running so
> smoothly for this release.
>
> The following platforms are supported by this release:
>
>         FreeBSD 6.2/i386 (or later)
>         FreeBSD 6.2/amd64 (or later)
>         OpenBSD 4.0/i386 (or later)
> 	OpenBSD 4.0/amd64 (or later)
>
> The patchset can be downloaded at:
>
> http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/jdk16.html
>
> Please download and test the jdk16 port framework from
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~glewis/jdk16.tgz
>
> This port will be committed following a short feedback period for testing.

I tried installing this on my i386 FreeBSD-CURRENT SMP box (2007-08-04
06:32 UTC) using diablo-jdk15 as bootstrap.  The build first failed
because of GCC 4.2 warnings-as-errors about deprecated string
conversions.  After commenting out a -Werror in
work/hotspot/build/bsd/makefiles/gcc.make , the hotspot-fastdebug server
built fine, but it failed in test_gamma.  I've attached the hs_err log.

I know CURRENT is not supported, but jkim@ somehow managed to build it
on an amd64 box.

Regards,
Rene
--
GPG fingerprint = E738 5471 D185 7013 0EE0  4FC8 3C1D 6F83 12E1 84F6
(subkeys.pgp.net)

"It won't fit on the line."
		-- me, 2001