Eclipse 3.2 port (java/eclipse32)

Palle Girgensohn girgen at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 3 09:07:56 PDT 2006

--On tisdag, oktober 03, 2006 11.50.26 -0400 David Sledge
<dsledge at appriss.com> wrote:

> Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>>

>> --On fredag, september 01, 2006 19.54.17 -0400 David Sledge
>> <dsledge at appriss.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It looks like the safest thing to do is submit the port as
>>> java/eclipse32
>>> and leave the existing java/eclipse port alone. As plugins get updated
>>> for the new port of eclipse version 3.2 we will eventually be able to
>>> remove the old port. I plan to submit the PR on Wednesday as I am
>>> currently away from my FreeBSD computer :( . Thank you for all your
>>> input, help and testing on this port.
>>
>> There is a patch release, 3.2.1. Will you consider adding those fixes,
>> i.e. updating the port to 3.2.1, or is it too late for that? I guess
>> we can always update the port later.
>>
>> I just stated, in another mail, that I'd rather see an update of the
>> old port of eclipse, we really don't need two different ports for
>> eclipse, but I guess just creating a new port is faster, and will fix
>> existing plugin ports quicker. Oh well...
>>
>> /Palle
>>

> Working on the build for 3.2.1 now. Hoping to have it done by the end of
> the day. We talked about updating the the old port on this mailing list
> and more people seemed to want it to be a separate port so we did not
> break the dependencies. I am getting more and more emails now supporting
> to update the existing eclipse port. I have no problem with that. I will
> ask again how many people would prefer updating the original eclipse port
> versus creating a new port? Please comment on this ASAP as I am working
> on an update to eclipse 3.2.1.

I would like to see a complete upgrade. I do realize we need to upgrade all
ports as well, or set them BROKEN. Problem is that many ports don't have a
maintainer, or has the freebsd-eclipse mailing list as maintainer, which is
basically the same thing. :(  Still, most plugins will probably be rather
easy to upgrade, no? It should be a community effort, of course.

Regards,
Palle