Performance of Java on FBSD vs. others...

Achilleas Mantzios achill at matrix.gatewaynet.com
Mon Nov 13 09:08:56 UTC 2006

Στις Σάββατο 11 Νοέμβριος 2006 00:32, ο/η Nikos Ntarmos έγραψε:
> Hi Matthew.
>
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 09:53:10PM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> > Is this the same issue with syscalls as affects MySQL?  As in
> > unconstrained calling of gettimeofday() or similar because such
> > "syscalls are free"?  Which is pretty much true in Linux, at the
> > cost of not returning the time particularly accurately.
> >
> > Look at http://wikitest.freebsd.org/MySQL -- especially the point
> > about "frequent queries of the system time".   Try tweaking the
> > 'kern.timecounter.choice' sysctl and see if that makes much
> > difference.
>
> That was my first thought too. I've tried with ACPI-fast, TSC, and i8254
> and saw no noticeable difference (btw k.t.hardware is the one to be set
> to whatever value and k.t.choice the one to be queried for available
> time counters)...

Νίκο, καλημέρα,
just a question:

Did you benchmark you whole system (apart from java) using some
well known benchmark?

-server 1.4.2 (even linux-jdk) on my workstation some times runs faster than
our Linux dual xeon 3.2GHZ server.

You can even test by writing a simple cpu-intensive C program by yourself.
Also i dont remember answering the /etc/malloc.conf question.
Linking this to "aj" could make a *huge* difference (if you are on current).
Also trying removing any debugging from your kernel.

man 7 tuning is a good way to start.

If your system proves to be *generally* slower than the rest 2,
then we got a FreeBSD issue here.
else it is a java-related matter.

Anyway in the meantime i wish you to solve the problem
and stick all the way with FreeBSD!

> \n\n

Achilleas Mantzios