jdk15 from update5 sources

Kurt Miller lists at intricatesoftware.com
Fri May 5 14:57:25 UTC 2006

On Thursday 04 May 2006 8:52 am, Arne H. Juul wrote:
> For those of us who can't use the diablo binary release for one reason or
> the other, it's a problem that the BSD patches from eyesbeyond.com use the
> SCSL sources, since there are many problems in those that are fixed in the
> various update 1 to 6 releases.
>
> Sun has released sources on tiger.dev.java.net for update 3, 4, and 5 (but
> not update 6, at least not yet).  These are under the JIUL license which
> seems to be more permissive than SCSL (too much legalese for me to say for
> sure).
>
> So I've downloaded the update 5 sources and applied the
> bsd-jdk15-patches-3.tar.bz2 (with some rejects).  Then I've fixed the
> issues with rejected patches and done some changes based on the changes
> between SCSL sources and update 5 sources (see attached patch).
>
> The result works pretty well for me when compiled on FreeBSD 4.x for
> running standalone java applications; I have no idea if it works for
> webstart, or browser plugins, or as a basis for java frameworks. But maybe
> somebody else may find it useful to go this route; I still get the
> occasional crash deep inside the garbage collection parts of the VM but at
> least this is much more stable than the version I get from compiling
> ports/jdk the usual way.

Wow, I wasn't aware that Sun started releasing source
updates for 1.5. Very cool. :-)

I noticed your patch didn't include any changes to the
bsd directories in the port. There are a bunch of
directories that have bsd in their name. These dirs
started out as copies of the corresponding solaris ones.
Your patch has the shared dirs at update 5 level but
the bsd dirs are at initial release still.

To bring the jdk15 port fully up to update 5 level you
will need to do a diff on the solaris changes since the
initial release and then apply them to the bsd versions.

A 'find . -name *bsd* -type d' should find the top level
bsd dirs you need to look at.

-Kurt