java without X11?

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Thu May 4 12:18:38 UTC 2006

Hi!

I was setting up a headless (no X11, no GUI) box and had to
install java (required by apache-ant and by a java code that
interacts with an underlying postgresql database).

I want this box to run only the base system (cut down to
only essential daemons/processes) and one application
(postgresql + associated perl/java layers).

I was installing diablo-jdk15 from a package ... and
followed the warning about a missing required dependency
(xorg-libraries). Even though I didn't want X11, it would
just be the libraries ... so I went ahead.

I was then surprised when xorg-libraries in turn pulled
freetype, fontconfig, pkgconfig (isn't this a gnome thing?),
libdrm ... too much X11 stuff for my taste.

Perhaps I could have ignored the warning altogether and keep
jdk15 installed without xorg-libraries? Anyone did this?
If yes, I could go now and pkg_delete all X11 stuff ...

A quick browse through other jdk ports show that they all
(by default) require X11 either directly or through
inclusion of some motif dependency.

I know that a lot of java apps depend on GUI functionality
provided by the language, but is this java+X11 a thing that
cannot be separated? (i.e.  X11 is rooted too deep into
java) or maybe it could be separated and we could have an
optional WITHOUT_X11 in the various jdk ports?

Thanks,

Fernan