Java 1.5 donations

Panagiotis Astithas past at ebs.gr
Thu Mar 23 11:19:04 UTC 2006

Greg Lewis wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 03:06:06PM +1100, Michael Vince wrote:
>> I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any details such as a time
>> frame and a rough figure of how much it would cost to get some good
>> results (or even full Sun Java certification) happening 1.5 Java on
>> i386/amd64 as I was hoping maybe I could persuade the company I work at
>> to donate. I also did notice that there was recently a funding
>> announcement for Java 1.5 on FreeBSD on the FreeBSD foundation web site
>> which is good news.
>
> I don't want to say too much about this just at the moment...

I've been wondering why has there been such a silence on the
foundation-sponsored work. There hasn't been any status update to let us
know if we are still on schedule for a certified Java binary this month.
There hasn't even been a disclosure of the identity of the person who is
doing the TCK work. It would give more of a "community" feeling to the
whole process :-)

In the past, we used to see regular status updates from you or Alexey,
and Nate Williams used to be even more prompt to discuss the state of
affairs, whether good or bad. Is this just a case of too much work / too
little time, or has something fundamentally changed in the way the BSD
Java team works? Has Sun demanded anything like that? Is it perhaps
related to a potential change of course to use Sun partner sources for
the certified binaries, rather than SCSL licensed ones?

I'm more curious about the 'why has there been such a change', rather
than the 'what has changed exactly', if you are not at liberty to
disclose stuff.

Regards,

Panagiotis