Redistribution of Official FreeBSD JRE

Chuck McCrobie mccrobie2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 29 12:14:21 UTC 2006

Okay, I´ve read the OEM re-distribution terms and the
end-user license agreement for the official FreeBSD
java binaries.  I'm confused.

I would like to develop a Java application and support
it on FreeBSD.  Eventually, I would like to sell a
FreeBSD box with my application pre-bundled.

1.  For distributing JUST my application, I'm okay in
terms of JRE licensing.  The customer has the
responsibility of downloading and installing the JRE.

2.  For bundling the JRE WITH my application, it seems
that for FreeBSD, I must sign various forms and such
with Sun as an OEM and pay money.  Does the simple
fact that I bundle the JRE with my application make me
an OEM and therefore subject to OEM license
agreements?

3.  For bundling the JRE WITH my application on
hardware with FreeBSD and selling the box, I also must
sign an OEM agreement and pay Sun some money.

4.  For LINUX, it seems I can bundle the JRE with my
application AND NOT pay money to Sun nor sign OEM
agreements, etc.  Therefore, I'm NOT considered an OEM
because the Linux JRE allows bundling with an
application.

Are the above understandings correct?

<troll zone>
If true, then Linux and the Linux JRE from Sun is more
Free than FreeBSD - ironic.
</troll zone>

Thank you,

Chuck McCrobie