Apache Tomcat crash on 6.1

Kurt Miller kurt at intricatesoftware.com
Wed Jul 5 19:04:05 UTC 2006

Hi Martijn,

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 2:09 pm, Martijn Veening wrote:
> Thanks Kurt, but an out-of-memory error seems unlikely, it's a
> SuperMicro server with 1 Gb of memory and 256 Mb dedicated to the JVM
> (by JVM startup-options in catalina.sh).

Some ideas:
1) check your datasize ulimit for the login class of the user
tomcat is running under.
2) set the X malloc() option (ln -s X /etc/malloc.conf) and
see if you get a diagnostic message as to why malloc() is
returning NULL.
3) watch the java process memory utilization over time with
top or ps -l and look for increasing memory usage.

> I added the JVM-parameter -XX:+UseMembar now, but i understand that the
> diablo-1.5.0_7 has this turned on by default, so that probably doesn't
> help

Correct

> (the server hasn't crashed since though, but is only up for 10
> hours, so not conclusive).
>
> It is a 2-processor machine though: does that require tuning ?

Nothing in particular comes to mind, but you could look through
some of Sun's docs at http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/index.html

Regards,
-Kurt