i386 java binaries causing 100% cpu on amd64

Ashley Moran work at ashleymoran.me.uk
Wed Feb 22 07:25:57 PST 2006

I have an Althlon 64 server running 6.0-rel in amd64 mode.  I'm trying to
compile JDK 1.5 on it, and I've gone about it two ways:

* installing the binary package of the native JDK 1.4 created on my i386
desktop
* installing emulators/linux_base and the Linux JDK 1.4

In both cases, when I run java -version, it does nothing but takes up 100%
CPU.  I've stress-tested the system by running an i386 version of the
misc/chef port, and that runs, so the issue is not with i386 binaries in
general.

I'm using an Athlon64 CPU.  I have recompiled the kernel with these options in
make.conf (although not the world - not that it should make a difference?):
CPUTYPE=athlon64, CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe, COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe

It's a custom kernel but the only options I've changed are SHMMAXPGS=393216,
SHMSEG=512, SHMMNI=1024, SEMMNI=512, SEMMNS=1024, SEMMNU=512, SEMMAP=1024
(for postgres).  All the apparently essential options (COMPAT_43,
COMPAT_IA32, COMPAT_LINUX32) are still in the kernel.

linprocfs is mounted so no probs there.

In short, I can't see anything wrong with my setup.  does anyone have any
ideas?

Cheers
Ashley