J5EE + SJS Application Server PE 9

Joe Shevland jshevland at rowantreesoftware.com.au
Thu Apr 20 00:36:49 UTC 2006

Panagiotis Astithas wrote:

> Martin Dames wrote:
>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I really appreciate your work for FreeBSD and Java integration. But I
>> am planning to develop as soon as possible with the new upcoming
>> release of Java Enterprise Edition J5EE. And I will need a Java
>> application server in conjunction with the new J5EE.  So, it is now
>> in development and will be released in fall this year.
>>
>> I prefer UNIX and not Linux, but unfortunately I am considering to
>> change my server to a Linux distribution, because its supported by
>> Sun directly. I heard that the FreeBSD project has now an agreement
>> with Sun to ship Java native to FreeBSD.
>>
>> My simple question would be: How long would it take to get native
>> access to J5EE and the SJS Application Server (Glassfish) for FreeBSD
>> if it released!
>

> Assuming Glassfish is pure Java, you should be able to use the latest
> beta today. Alternatively, you could use ports/java/jboss4 for an
> application server with support for JEE 1.5.

I actually tried installing the Linux version (a binary) of Glassfish
from the site after reading this yesterday (with the -fc3 Linux
emulation)... I could get the installer to run after supplying the
-javaHome switch, but then it dies with something along the lines of:

  Media spanning not enabled in com.sun.wizard.somethingorother.FreeBSDMedia

So its still picking up FreeBSD from somewhere (this was run from a
/compat/.../bin/sh shell). If I had to guess the installer error
indicates a strictness of the installer app and not a limitation of
FreeBSD, I would have thought the pure Java components would run fine,
if you can get them from an existing installation perhaps. But other
than that, I'm using EJB3 with JBoss 4.0.4RC1 on an i386 machine and I
haven't had any problems with the Diablo JDK. I haven't managed to get
the Diablo JDK running on my AMD64 server yet unfort, so the compiled
port is still on there.

Cheers
Joe