new FreeBSD java binaries

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Thu Apr 13 23:28:17 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 05:57:51PM -0400, Scott I. Remick wrote:
> Thanks for taking a stab at my confusion, Jonathan. I'm almost clear. One
> thing still confuses me, though: if the diablo-jdk15 port was specifically
> created on 4/6 in order to provide a means to obtain the new BINARIES via
> the ports system, and caffe and latte are source tarballs while the ones
> labeled jdk and jre are the actual binaries, why does the diablo-jdk15 port
> use diablo-caffe (SOURCE) instead of diablo-jdk (BINARY)?

In general, the ports system builds from sources if possible; the final
decision is up to the port-maintainer. As the sources for the diablo-jdk15
build is available for public perusal, I'm guessing that the port-maintainer
has chosen to build from the source to keep the process as open as possible.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>