jdk 1.5.0 compiles java plugin but ....

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Mon Apr 10 18:04:46 UTC 2006

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 16:41:59 -0300
"Carlos F. A. Paniago" <carlos.paniago at gmail.com> wrote:

> In a FreeBSD 6.1PRERELEASE, amd64, I compiled the jdk15 comenting the
> lines in Makefile
>
> #.if ${MACHINE_ARCH} == "amd64"
> #WITHOUT_WEB=   yes
> #.endif
>
> but the execution of a banking java applet did this:
>

> panix: {226} firefox
> java_vm process: could not find Java VM symbols
> INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not read ack from child process
> System error?:: Resource temporarily unavailable
> panix: {227}
>
> I need to use a java plugin to acces a bank account, but in my amd64
> it is not possible... Could someone know how to solve this?

Use Konqueror instead.  Rather than relying on the Java plugin, you can
simply set the path to your local Java installation under Konqueror's
preferences and it will work just fine with any sites that require a
Java-enabled browser.

I've used it myself to play chess on Yahoo's games site (which uses a
Java applet).

I don't know why all browsers don't adopt such a simple approach.

HTH
--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"