JDK binary without X

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sat Apr 8 16:11:03 UTC 2006

At 10:18 PM +1000 4/8/06, Michael Vince wrote:
>Russell Francis wrote:
>>
>>I may be mistaken about this, but wouldn't not building with
>>x-libraries make fairly large parts of the Java runtime
>>environment ie java.awt.* & java.swing.* broken?
>>
>>If this is true, why would you want this?  I suspect that
>>many Java applications make use of functionality within
>>these name-spaces even if they don't seem to be an
>>"X based" application?
>
>Some people just want to use it for a Tomcat server. A lot
>of people put something like
>     'export CATALINA_OPTS=-Djava.awt.headless=true'
>to disable it as its just extra things they don't have to
>worry about.

But that's your option (as a user).  From Sun's perspective,
they probably would want all the functionality to be in the
system installation if we're going to call it a "blessed
Java implementation".  Ie, it could very well be that we
couldn't get certified if we allowed java installations
that did not have any GUI support.

I seem to recall that Sun's java team was pretty big on
the idea that all user-options should be runtime options,
and not build-time options.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu