JBoss ports do not respect the user's JAVA_VERSION

Herve Quiroz herve.quiroz at esil.univ-mrs.fr
Thu Sep 29 06:07:35 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 12:18:29PM +0100, Ashley Moran wrote:
> Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> >Actually grepping through the java category shows that almost all
> >java-dependent ports, behave like that. Shouldn't we make a sweep and
> >fix them all?

Actually that's indeed the intended behavior. The port defines a *range*
of JVM versions that are acceptable and one is picked up during
build/install of the port. Hence the "+" in "1.4+" to allow other JDKs
to be picked up.

Your problem here lies in the fact that you have several JDKs installed
and that they are not sorted the way you would like them to be. Here
again it's the intended behavior. There is an "official" priority list
for JDK ports in bsd.java.mk and java/jdk14 is the default JDK on any
FreeBSD but 4.x. However, users may override this order, using
JAVA_PREFERRED_PORTS (in /etc/make.conf for instance).

> I had a similar problem.  I had to hack my /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.java.mk
> file to set the preferred JDK to native/1.5 to get tomcat to compile
> against JDK 1.5.  I was wondering when this file will be updated to
> support the latest JDK (even if native/1.4 is left as the default).

No need to hack your bsd.java.mk, just add this in your /etc/make.conf:

JAVA_PREFERRED_PORTS=	JAVA_PORT_NATIVE_BSDJAVA_JDK_1_5

I've been updating lots of Java ports recently to have them use
javavmwrapper 2.0 (which uses the logic from bsd.java.mk) so that no
JAVA_HOME is hardcoded anymore. But you are right the JBoss ports (and
jboss*ctl executables) do hardcode some JAVA_HOME value. Once the
rcNG'ification of www/jakarta-tomcat55 is proven to be fine (through
testing and feedback), I will try to apply the same changes to the JBoss
ports as well.

OTOH, the main issue here is more about documenting the
JAVA_PREFERRED_PORTS feature. In this extend, I am trying to write down
a "FreeBSD Java Handbook" based on the work in "Java and Jakarta Tomcat
on FreeBSD" article [1].  But my spare time is quite limited at the
moment so it may take quite a long time for me to come up with the final
article. However, I will try to add a small statement in the header of
bsd.java.mk about it ASAP.

Herve