cant get javaws to start up with jdk1.5p2, also plugin problems

Panagiotis Astithas past at ebs.gr
Mon Sep 26 00:44:15 PDT 2005

Greg Lewis wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 09:46:55PM +0200, Georg-W. Koltermann wrote:
>
>>from a freshly installed jdk1.5p2 as of today on FreeBSD 5.4 I get:
>>
>>        hunter[12]$ echo $JAVA_HOME
>>        /usr/local/jdk1.5.0
>>        hunter[13]$ $JAVA_HOME/jre/bin/javaws
>>        Java Web Start splash screen process exiting ...
>>        Bad installation. No JRE found in configuration file: Illegal byte sequence
>>        hunter[14]$
>>
>>Any idea on how to proceed?
>

> So here is the problem with Java Web Start.  Basically I don't know how
> to use it, so it gets next to no testing unless someone else tests it.
> I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could point me at some documentation
> or, even better, give me some examples I could test it with.  All I did
> for it was forward port the patches from 1.4.2 and made it compile.  I
> assumed that made it work since as I mentioned above I don't know how to
> test it.

You could check out the following links:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/javaws/index.html

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/javaws/developersguide/javaws.html

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/javaws/developersguide/contents.html

There are some demos here:

http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/demos.html

I've been meaning to look into this, but haven't found the time yet...

Regards,

Panagiotis