Apache 1.3 Tomcat 5.5 J2SDK 1.4.2 on FreeBSD 4.11

Kerem Erciyes kerem.erciyes at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 07:54:39 PDT 2005

Hi Everybody,

I have gone ahead and attempted a ports install for
/usr/ports/www/jakarta-tomcat55.

Other than fetching the JDK1.4 source and bin files for 1.4.2 from SUN
and agreeng to licenses everytime eveything has gone smootly since.

In about 2 days I was able to start with a minimal install of FreeBSD
4.11-STABLE to a system with Apache 1.3 + mod_ssl, Tomcat 5.5, JDK
1.4.2. I also compiled and installed mod_php and mod_jk as well.

Now I wish to start testing if I can serve jsp pages and static content
with Apache, and call upon tomcat as required.

But now whenever I restart the server, Tomcat 5.5 complains about the
pid file being unable to read or written or being invalid and refuses to
start. For now I keep a pid.bak file and replace it whenever needed but
I think this shows that Tomcat does not shutdown tidily when server is
restarted or goes down.

Open to comments and suggestions.

Regards,
Kerem