[SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports

Herve Quiroz herve.quiroz at esil.univ-mrs.fr
Tue Oct 18 08:21:29 PDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 07:30:52AM -0700, Vizion wrote:
> >This can be done today, with an eclipse-plugins meta-port, similar to
> >the php5-extensions one. I may even find some time to work on it.
>
> Wow
>
> That is great
>
> That is what I have been arguing for for three months!!

Yes, but you have been arguing for /usr/ports/eclipse and
/usr/ports/eclipse/plugins which are both major changes to ports
framework whereas php5-extensions is just a port as any other in the
*existing* framework. And I remember suggesting something similar with a
plugin support using MASTERDIR months ago.

Anyway, if this is just a matter of having the same as
lang/php5-extensions, I fully agree with the approach. Moreover, I am
glad to see that we have come to agree on some point (although I don't
know yet if people from freebsd-eclipse@ will effectively chose that
particular approach).

Now regarding the new non-virtual category, I think this goes beyond the
scope of the freebsd-java@ team so I'll let others (freebsd-ports@ and
probably portmgr@) deal with this new issue. FWIW, I remember some
earlier discussion regarding the creation of a new category (IIRC it was
about splitting 'net' into 'net-p2p' and such) where hundreds of ports
were concerned and the discussion not only took a long time but as you
can see these new categories never hit the ports tree.  So I guess
you'll have to be patient and explain your point in a much humble
fashion than what you did for this eclipse plugin framework discussion.

Herve