eclipse

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Fri Mar 25 14:31:40 PST 2005

I'm looking at java ports, now that I *have* a java, and the first I'm
looking at is eclipse.  Understand, my processor is an amd64, and the
eclipse port is marked for i386 only.  I just went to the site, and they
have a binary image available for download for the amd64, so I figure
that the amd64 might be reasonably fair game.

The port I have is the native jdk15.  Immediately after I tested my
jdk15 port to work ok, I deleted entirely the linux-sun-jdk14 port I'd
built it with, because I didn't want development confusion.  Of course,
this first target, when I looked at their build instructions, they ask
for a jdk14 port of java.  So, I need to know what's the preferred
method of porting for FreeBSD Java ports:

(1) modify the port to build under the latest compiler, which would be
jdk15, or

(2) run multiple simultaneous java ports?  Can this be cleanly done?

(3) shove my jdk15 off to the side, put back the linux-sun-jdk14 port,
and assume anyone else building it has to do the same thing?

For my own self, option #1 seems selfish, option 2 possibly the best,
but can it work?, and option #3, not terrifically workable.