RFC: New port for using Tomcat with jakarta-commons-daemon (jscv)

Herve Quiroz herve.quiroz at esil.univ-mrs.fr
Wed Jun 22 10:28:06 GMT 2005

Hi Martin,

[ I'm just recovering for some big mail issue so I hope I didn't miss any
follow-up to your message ]

Thanks for your contribution. I have yet to test your patch, but from
what I've seen so far (the shar arhcive), I think it would be better to
have two separate ports: jakarta-commons-daemon (the general library)
upon which would depend jakarta-tomcat-daemon (or whichever the name
would be).

Anyway, your current port provides a good base to work on. There are
several other approaches to the "Tomcat launcher and run-time argument
passing" that have been suggested or implemented so far. I am not a true
user of Tomcat myself, so I can't really comment on their respective
ease of use, and viability. So I would be glad if all people concerned
by such issue could report on the various approaches so far.

IMHO, the point is that we need a separate port to implement this Tomcat
launcher so that we don't replicate the work in each Tomcat port.
Moreover, having such a separation (tomcat / tomcat-launcher) would
allow for several kinds of launcher to be part of the ports tree, in
case we would not agree on a particular one.

I will test your patch and comment on it ASAP.

Herve

FYI, PRs related to this issue:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/38018
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/38020
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/59571
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/74344
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/75143

Please report if any is missing from the list...