Tomcat 5.5 --- tomcat55ctl --- increase max vm heap space ?

Panagiotis Astithas past at ebs.gr
Tue Jul 26 07:33:47 GMT 2005

Herve Quiroz wrote:
> Hi Achilleus,
>
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 05:31:48PM +0300, Achilleus Mantzios wrote:
>
>>I have probably missed something, but
>>why can't tomcat be started as a shellscript
>>as jboss does?
>

> Well, actually jboss is launched using an executable which is also a C
> program...
>
> But actually I tend to agree with you on the shell script front. There
> may have been some historical reason to the tomcatctl.c program but I
> believe the most clean approach is probably the one from PR 38018 [1].
>
> I have been trying to get the commons-daemon stuff working but there are
> still issues (e.g. it takes forever to shutdown the service) to overcome
> and I don't see what jsvc does actually provide more than what
> catalina.sh + rcNG already do. I am starting to think that jsvc is good
> when your system don't provide features such as the ones that are
> provided by rcNG (PID file, run as user, start/stop...)
>
> Please, all people motivated by this issue have a look at PR 33018 [1]
> and tell me if there is something wrong with a plain rcNG shell script.
> Whether there is indeed some mandatory feature that can only be provided by
> some C program or not, we need to know it so we can already close some
> PRs and find a solution, at last.
>
> FYI, a ports CVS freeze is coming (6.0 release) in a few days now...
>
> Herve

IMHO, the approach in PR 38018 is a reasonable and future-proof one. I
agree with everything you say above. IIRC the only thing a C program
buys us is the ability to bind directly on privileged ports (e.g. 80,
443). I have had a hard time persuading other people that this is better
than having the stock launcher script, though.

Cheers,

Panagiotis