Tomcat 5.5 --- tomcat55ctl --- increase max vm heap space ?

Herve Quiroz herve.quiroz at esil.univ-mrs.fr
Mon Jul 25 21:21:45 GMT 2005

Hi Achilleus,

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 05:31:48PM +0300, Achilleus Mantzios wrote:
> I have probably missed something, but
> why can't tomcat be started as a shellscript
> as jboss does?

Well, actually jboss is launched using an executable which is also a C
program...

But actually I tend to agree with you on the shell script front. There
may have been some historical reason to the tomcatctl.c program but I
believe the most clean approach is probably the one from PR 38018 [1].

I have been trying to get the commons-daemon stuff working but there are
still issues (e.g. it takes forever to shutdown the service) to overcome
and I don't see what jsvc does actually provide more than what
catalina.sh + rcNG already do. I am starting to think that jsvc is good
when your system don't provide features such as the ones that are
provided by rcNG (PID file, run as user, start/stop...)

Please, all people motivated by this issue have a look at PR 33018 [1]
and tell me if there is something wrong with a plain rcNG shell script.
Whether there is indeed some mandatory feature that can only be provided by
some C program or not, we need to know it so we can already close some
PRs and find a solution, at last.

FYI, a ports CVS freeze is coming (6.0 release) in a few days now...

Herve

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/38018