Solved - Re: Eclipse 3.1, subclipse, javaSVN, kserel and 70% system use.

Jan Grant Jan.Grant at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jul 25 13:39:29 GMT 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Andreas Kohn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 13:58 +0100, Jan Grant wrote:
> > (This appears to be a problem with both native 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 jdks on
> > my -stable: an approximately GENERIC
> > FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Thu Jun 16 13:59:43 BST 2005)
> >
> > I use subversion for version control here, so I installed the latest
> > subclipe (subclipe.tigris.org) and the tmate.org javaSVN libraries.
> >
> > [subclipse really slow]
> >
> > I can get a thread dump if anyone is interested but I'd like to actually
> > get some confirmation that others are seeing this issue too.
> >

> I did see the same after installing subclipse again into 3.1. Apparently
> as my machine is a lot slower than yours (athlon 1200), I actually never
> saw the operation complete. Eclipse-devel just hung early, just after it
> painted itself for the first time.
>
> I didn't have much time then to figure out how to solve the problem.
> Now, I reinstalled eclipse-devel (to test the latest patch), and also
> reinstalled subclipse (after I saw your message).
> I usually use subclipse with the JavaHL bindings[1].

Thanks to Mark Phippard, with whose advice I was able to sort this out.
It appears that there's a bug in the currently released version of
subclipse that causes it to run incredibly slowly for many operations. A
version built against the head of the subclipse tree works fine -
although I had to build javahl* in order to get it working, as javaSVN
has not yet been updated for this version of subclipse.

jan

* A little makefile hackery required, as I've got apache2 installed,
and the port/configure picks that up as opposed to the devel/apr port.

Tel +44 (0)117 9287088 or 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/
Strive to live every day as though it was last Wednesday.