Eclipse 3.1, subclipse, javaSVN, kserel and 70% system use.

Andreas Kohn andreas.kohn at gmx.net
Fri Jul 22 21:57:52 GMT 2005

Hi,

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 13:58 +0100, Jan Grant wrote:
> (This appears to be a problem with both native 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 jdks on
> my -stable: an approximately GENERIC
> FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Thu Jun 16 13:59:43 BST 2005)
>
> I use subversion for version control here, so I installed the latest
> subclipe (subclipe.tigris.org) and the tmate.org javaSVN libraries.
>
> [subclipse really slow]
>
> I can get a thread dump if anyone is interested but I'd like to actually
> get some confirmation that others are seeing this issue too.

I did see the same after installing subclipse again into 3.1. Apparently
as my machine is a lot slower than yours (athlon 1200), I actually never
saw the operation complete. Eclipse-devel just hung early, just after it
painted itself for the first time.

I didn't have much time then to figure out how to solve the problem.
Now, I reinstalled eclipse-devel (to test the latest patch), and also
reinstalled subclipse (after I saw your message).
I usually use subclipse with the JavaHL bindings[1]. Experience has
shown for me that "java app being slow" could be related to "java app is
not run with the same jdk it was compiled"[2], I also rebuilt subversion
(updating from 1.1.4 to 1.2.0, and forcing it to use the JDK 1.5.0). And
for some reason, subclipse now works fine. No slowdowns, just as it
worked in eclipse 3.0.
The problem is: I can't tell if the rebuild fixed it, if the update
fixed it, if some other unrelated change[3] fixed it, etc.

To answer your question: Yes, I can confirm I saw this slowdown/hang,
but can't say how to fix it or even where to look :/

Regards,
--
Andreas

[1] JavaHL bindings: They are commented in the port, but do work for me.
[2] The "slow typing in eclipse"-bug. I had it multiple times, and
once(!) it went away when rebuilding jdk, eclipse, etc. OTOH, I couldn't
reproduce it by reversing the process, so this is still unclear why it
worked.
[3] unrelated changes: I've been fixing my ipv6 setup lately, and there
are some problems/issues known w.r.t. Java, so this may be remotely
related.

--
<TalisA> was macht man eigentlich auf einer linux-gamer lan ? hl server
aufsetzen und freuen ? *duck* ^^