Eclipse 3.1, subclipse, javaSVN, kserel and 70% system use.

Jan Grant Jan.Grant at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Jul 22 12:58:32 GMT 2005

(This appears to be a problem with both native 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 jdks on
my -stable: an approximately GENERIC
FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Thu Jun 16 13:59:43 BST 2005)

First, well done on the 3.1 port. Mostly, it works just as well as the
3.0 did, and the java 5.0 features are most welcome.

I use subversion for version control here, so I installed the latest
subclipe (subclipe.tigris.org) and the tmate.org javaSVN libraries.

Now it appears that something is triggering a problem with the above
combination. It's not clear to me that this isn't a problem with the
underlying freebsd threading: the problem is reproducible on this
machine (1.8GHz P4, 1GB: enough to run eclipse 3.0 pretty snappily)
under jdks 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 (client and server jvm).

Basically, a few operations appear to be incredibly (unusably) sluggish:
"synchronise with repository" in particular - these kinds of operations
will hang for long periods "refreshing the workspace" or "building the
workspace". Normal refreshes and rebuilds, however, are as snappy as
always.

The operations in question take minutes for a miniscule java project
(about 30 classes) - so if this is a generic problem, it should probably
be visible on more modern equipment too. At the point where eclipse
hangs, top shows system about 25% user and 75% system usage; the java
process switches back and forth from "RUN" to "kserel".

I appreciate it's a large set of downloads in order to get in a position
to reproduce this problem - but if anyone else already has 3.1 running,
perhaps they could try installing the subclipse and javasvn plugins and
see if they can reproduce the issue?

I can get a thread dump if anyone is interested but I'd like to actually
get some confirmation that others are seeing this issue too.

Cheers,
jan

Tel +44 (0)117 9287088 or 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/
Lambda calculus? I hardly know 'er!