JDK 1.5 interesting behavior...

Brian Clapper brian-freebsd-007 at clapper.org
Tue Jan 25 18:44:41 PST 2005

On 25 January, 2005, at 11:46 (-0700)
Matt Meola <mmeola at vericept.com> wrote:

> I can't get java to run unless I use the absolute path to the
> executable.  I looked through the archives, and saw someone else had
> this problem back in June of last year, but I didn't see a resolution to
> the issue...
>
> ldconfig -r tells me that /usr/local/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/i386 is searched,
> and the shared lib is in that directory.
>
> JAVA_HOME is set to /usr/local/jdk1.5.0.
> Any ideas?
>
> # java -version
> Error: could not find libjava.so
> Error: could not find Java 2 Runtime Environment.
>
> # $JAVA_HOME/bin/java -version
> java version "1.5.0-p1"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
> 1.5.0-p1-toor_25_jan_2005_09_13)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0-p1-toor_25_jan_2005_09_13, mixed
> mode)

I'm seeing the same behavior. I saw it with the port as well as the
patch-and-build-yourself precursor to the port. My situation is the same as
noted above. I'm running on 4.10-RELEASE. FWIW, I have had no trouble at
all with the 1.4.2 native JDK; I've been using it for months.

Brian Clapper, http://www.clapper.org/bmc/