FW: plugin142.trace file

Maxson, Kristin KRISTIN.MAXSON at cubic.com
Wed Jan 12 07:37:01 PST 2005

Wow, Sean,

I upgraded from java 1.3.1 to j2sdk1.4.2 I found a file called
plugin142.trace. I did not know much about this file other than it had an
error trace of why my browser did not work with Java 1.4.2. (Tuple3d class
not found) I searched on the internet for this file and found, (your
note)...

I am running on windows so I do not have a choice of chmod. I am getting
ready to upgrade to 1.5 (to see if this fixes the problem). Did you find a
better solution other than chmod?

Cheers,

Kristin

I just installed java3d and have been puttering around with it for the
afternoon (possible job opportunity using this stuff). I found that I was
immediately able to use the install on the included demos (ie, cd
/usr/local/share/java/java3d/demo/HelloUniverse && java HelloUniverse), but
nothing would run in a browser. Oddly enough something like appletviewer
HelloUniverse_plugin.html worked just fine but the browser just refused to
give me anything but a gray window with a small red x in the upper left
corner. Omitting the agonizing details of how I discovered this (and I still
don't know WHY this is so), the issue seems to revolve around the existence
of the file ~/.java/deployment/log/plugin142.trace !! In short, if it exists
when the browser starts no applets can be run properly in that browser (this
only applies to java3d stuff). My work-around was to chmod 555
~/.java/deployment/log so that the file couldn't be created. I don't have a
clue why this is happening but I'm guessing I'm not the only one -- or has
no one else tried the plugin functionality? I'm running 5.2.1-RELEASE
jdk-1.4.2p6_4, linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2.04, java3d-1.3.1_1, javavmwrapper-1.5,
and exactly the /etc/libmap.conf contents suggested by
linuxpluginwrapper-20040310_1 when installed earlier. Please let me know if
anyone would like any more details about my system. Sean