FW: Sun revokes FreeBSD license for Java

Ian G iang at iang.org
Mon Jan 10 06:01:31 PST 2005

Joris Verschoor wrote:

> Ian G wrote:
>
> True, but if you're using a 5.0 compiler, it will use StringBuilder
> and other things 1.4 does not have, so although the bytecode is
> compatible, 1.4.2 does not have the right libraries / methods :(

Actually that's not the case, you can tell the compiler
to compile for 1.4 as a target, and it avoids such things.

> I'd be nice, but I won't be using any non-standard stuff..
>

>> I'd say that doing so was a mixed bag;  one problem
>> I saw was that the code couldn't then be compiled
>> in anyone else's shop.  Also, once used extensively,
>

> Exactly my problem

No responsible manager should ever let such a thing
happen...  It's just too risky on every level, given the
whole environment.

But, it doesn't speak kindly of Java;  It should be quite
routine to use such forward features in non-production
code, and even to trial it in limited production, but the
way Java is squeezed by so many coralling restrictions,
one has to stay on the straight and narrow.  I have no
idea how big development environments manage to do
this with their longer cycles.

iang

--
News and views on what matters in finance+crypto:
        http://financialcryptography.com/